The person who registers for a membership creates the group and becomes the owner. The owner has the following permissions:
- The ability to edit the group’s name and description.
- View members in the group.
- Promote or demote members (from member to admin, or admin to the member).
- Add new members to the group (if they have seats available).
- Remove members from the group (thus freeing up a seat).
- Re-send invitations to users who have been invited but have not yet accepted their invitation.
The group dashboard page has four distinct sections:
Here you will find a table showing all the members in the group along with their role and any actions that may be performed. See screenshot:
- Remove from Group – removes the member from the group, freeing up a seat.
- Set as Admin – promotes the member to the “admin” role.
- Set as Member – demotes an admin to the “member” role, or promotes an “invited” user to the “member” role (bypassing the normal invitation process).
- Resend Invite – resends the invitation email to a member that has not yet accepted.
- There is also a search field at the top of a page, which lets the owner quickly find a specific member by their username or email address.
If they have seats available, group owners can add members through the following form:
The username and password fields are both optional. If the username is left blank it will be set to the email address. If the password is left blank, it will be randomly generated. See screenshot:
By default, adding a member will send the user an email inviting them to join the group (provided the group invite template is configured). There is a checkbox on the form allowing the owner to disable this invitation email and add the user straight to the group, without requiring that they accept the invitation via email. The user will receive an email notifying them of their new account and how to change/set their password.
Another way for owners to add group members is by importing them from a CSV file. There’s a section titled “Import Group Members,” which allows you to bulk import members from a CSV file. See screenshot:
Your CSV needs to contain the following fields:
- User Email
- First Name
- Last Name
The following fields are optional:
- User Login
- User Password
If the username is not provided, the email address will be used instead. If the password is not provided, the user’s password will be randomly generated.
The order of the columns in the CSV file does not matter, as long as the header names are correct. If helpful, there’s a link to download a sample CSV file (see screenshot above).
Editing Group Details
The final section on the dashboard allows the owner to edit the group name and description that they chose during registration. See screenshot: